Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Teaching Gee Haa

Neither M.E. or Mopus are picking up the the Gee and Ha commands in harness. Marley had learned it easily on runs and by being told the command on leash; Marvin figured it out while working with Marley. The pointer sisters are not getting it and I don't have them much on leash or any other setting which I could take advantage of to teach them directional concepts. I think, in harness they are so focused on running that they don't care as much as Marley about getting directions; they are contenting in the guess work.
I'm a believer that each dog has its better way to learn, I like finding what suite each of my dogs. I tried a few tricks without a satisfying response from them, until I picked this up from agility dog techniques. I'm hoping this will work...
While they are not running, not playing  in a more static mode, my hyper-crazy mutt  heads should be more available to process what's going on and associate the words with turning there head in the right direction.
First step was, tap side of the dog, treat when the head turns,  next I call a Gee or Ha, if the dog turns the head in the right direction, dog gets the treat. Anyway, I'm going from there...it might need refining.




No comments:

Post a Comment